How to File a Claim for Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Symptoms

After almost 35 years since the last contaminated water supply was shut down, individuals affected by Camp Lejeune water contamination can finally file a claim for damages.

The statute of repose in North Carolina previously prevented affected persons at Camp Lejeune from seeking justice.

However, the PACT Act of 2022’s Section 804 of the Camp Lejeune Justice Act has suspended this statute of repose, allowing former Camp Lejeune inhabitants and workers to seek the justice they had long been denied finally.

But how do you file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim? Read on to find out.

The Camp Lejeune Claims Process

Like any other federal claim, Camp Lejeune water contamination claims should be brought to the relevant federal agency before filing a lawsuit. Such a case is referred to as an administrative claim.

Filing an administrative claim

The Office of the Judge Advocate General (JAG), based in Norfolk, Virginia, is the agency in charge of handling administrative claims. You can reapply for reconsideration if your initial claim was declined.

How Does My Income Affect Social Security Benefits?

When filing the claim, you must give a dollar amount or risk losing your rights. A skilled personal injury lawyer can assist you in determining the value of your claim and file the claim on your behalf.

Your claim may be approved, denied, or settled by the JAG. The JAG has six months to reach a decision.

Filing a Camp Lejeune water contamination Claim

If the JAG rejects your claim or makes a paltry settlement offer, you may consider filing a civil suit in the Eastern District of North Carolina.

The district consists of four divisions. If you don’t live within this district, you must file your claim in the Southern Division. But if you are a district resident, you should file in the division nearest to your residence.

A claim filed in the wrong district may be dismissed, delaying compensation. So, seek the help of a lawyer to ensure your claim is filed correctly.

Who Qualifies to File a Camp Lejeune Contaminated Water Claim?

If you resided or worked at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days from August 1, 1953, to December 31, 1987, you could qualify to file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim.

Eligible parties include the following:

Got a Legal Issue? Let Us Help You Find An Attorney Near You

  • Military personnel
  • Civil service personnel
  • Civilians who lived near the base
  • Dependents of the army
  • Civilians working for a private firm at Camp Lejeune
  • Anybody affected by the contaminated water while in utero

Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit

Water at the adjacent Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River was also contaminated from similar sources as numerous on-site locations. In fact, the Department of Veterans Affairs confirmed that the MCAS New River water was contaminated.

What Do I Have to Prove in a Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Claim?

To file a successful lawsuit, you must demonstrate the following:

  • That you stayed at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days within the stipulated time frame.
  • The causal link between the harm you suffered and the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

How Much Time Do I Have to File a Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Claim?

The Camp Lejeune Justice Act allows a two-year timeframe from when the PACT Act was enacted. Since this happened on August 10, 2022, you generally have until August 10, 2024, to claim your damages.

But if your administrative claim is dismissed, you have 180 days from the date of dismissal to file a lawsuit. Contact a Camp Lejeune water contamination attorney as soon as possible to ensure your claim gets filed on time.

How Much Is My Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Claim Worth?

The Camp Lejeune Justice Act allows plaintiffs to seek economic and non-economic damages. But they cannot recover punitive damages under this legislation.

Economic damages are financial losses brought on by your injuries, such as medical costs and lost wages. Non-economic damages are subjective, intangible losses, like pain and suffering.

Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Symptoms

These damages are governed by North Carolina law. North Carolina has no non-economic damages caps, unlike many other states.

Can I File a Claim on Behalf of a Deceased Person?

If a loved one died due to water contamination at Camp Lejeune, you could file a wrongful death claim on their behalf. You can recover any of the damages below under North Carolina’s wrongful death law:

  • Funeral costs
  • The medical costs of the deceased
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of income
  • Loss of consortium

File a Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Claim Today!

You don’t have much time to file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim. It would be best to take action now.

With Legal Giant, you will save time on vetting and hiring an attorney. We can connect you with an experienced personal injury lawyer to help with your case.

Our partner attorneys are dedicated to their work and will do everything to ensure you get the compensation you need and deserve.

Contact us today for a free case evaluation today.

Legal Giant is not a law firm and does not offer legal services.  We are a lawyer network platform that provides you access to hundreds of highly skilled attorneys in your area.  Our primary objective is to help you find a specialist lawyer for your case as fast as possible. We focus on practice area expertise and jurisdiction to offer you the best service possible.  Any information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by the use of our site.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top

Legal Giant’s mission is to connect you with highly experienced attorneys when you need legal help, just like it’s our own family.Our team of experienced writers and legal editors is fully committed to providing high-quality content and accurate information.

Our content is fact checked and approved by our team of editors and practicing attorneys. Should you find an error within any of our website content, please feel free to contact us and let us know.

Tell us about your case to get started.